Wednesday, July 2, 2008

E & G Arrive!!! 6/25/08

[continued from "Labor Day 6/24/08"]

We slept for awhile until it was time for Dr. M to come. He checked me and saw that I was close to 5 and decided to break my water. He couldn't get a good hook on the bag of waters so he decided to let me get my epidural first and then add pitocin and then try again. That was an ingenious plan. Up to this point, while my contractions were very regular and showing up as strong on the monitors, they were pretty painless. I was at ease while they administered the epidural and WOW! did it work! The nurse checked me and I was already at 6cms with no pain. Dr. M came in and broke my water. It took a little while to go from 6-8, but once I hit 8 we were home free! The nurses scurried around trying to get the room ready quickly with all the millions of things needed for a twin birth. Dr. M came in a couple minutes later and saw that I was at 9 and very stretchy. He had me do a practice push with the next contraction and pronounced me complete! The nurses all came back in to get the delivery underway and were laughing at me b/c I was so happy and had the biggest smile on my face as they came in! After 3 pushes, they called Dr. M back in b/c Evan's head was ready to be delivered and I had to wait it out a few minutes as he got into position. At 2:56 pm, E was born weighing 6 lbs 3 oz and 19" long. He came out screaming! They put him on my belly and I marveled at how tiny he was! Jack cut his cord and the nurses scooped him up and took him over to be examined by the pediatrician. I asked Dr. M if I should keep pushing to deliver G. He then told me that G had flipped and was now breech! The u/s machine was brought in and the monitors moved so that they could track him on his way out! Dr. M basically pulled him out with the help of a few pushes to his shoulders and then maneuvered them through one at a time. It seemed to take forever to get his head delivered and when they did he didn't cry. I was so scared! The nurses suctioned him and he still didn't cry. I could see his chest moving so I knew he was alive, but I didn't know what was wrong b/c he wasn't making noise and his body was so blue. The nurses whisked him away and got him on the oxygen mask right away. I was so grateful to hear his big wail join his brother's shortly after that! They were screaming in unison! G was born feet-first at 3:06 pm weighing 6 lbs 8 oz and 20" long. I had no stitches, no tearing and literally no pain. I had to be reminded the first 24 hours to even take the Motrin. I was up and walking to the nursery to see my boys within 1 hour. It would have been sooner but that was the earliest that I could feel my right leg! I am so thankful for the wonderful delivery that I had and the excellent care that my dr and nurses took of me and my babies! Both boys did wonderfully and we were all able to go home together less than 48 hours after delivery!

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 5